Friday, October 2, 2009

How Do I Get that Goodness in Me?

Time for a food beauty shot. This is the breakfast I eat nearly every day. It's cooked over an hour in a rice cooker. Steel cut oats in a 3:1 ratio with water: usually do about 2 cups of dry steel cut oats to 10 cups of water as I add in additional grains and goodies: 1 cup of wheat flakes, 1 cup of sesame seeds, 1/2 cup sunflower seeds, 1 cup of nuts (almonds and pecans), 1 cup of shredded coconut, 1 cup chia seeds, 1/2 cup of chopped dates. Great for you and great tasting. I sweeten it with agave nectar. I have a huge bowl of it and put a chopped apple on top. Its about 400-500 calories in the morning, but I earn it by doing a rigorous workout before.


A shot inside the fridge where I store the food of the gods. I make enough to last 7-10 days. You can see the chia seeds (little dark specs) and some of the shredded coconut. You can also make out the chopped almonds (light brown chunks). My son likes to call it "groatie." This is the only food I allow him to talk that way about: it's full of oat groats. Best fuel imaginable for recovering from an early morning workout and getting you through to lunchtime.

No comments:

Post a Comment